How can I prevent periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease is often highly preventable. It occurs primarily because of neglect including home care and routine dental cleanings and exams.
Taking a few easy measures can significantly lower your risk of developing the condition:
- Brush and floss your teeth as directed by Dr. Meunier and your hygienist.
- Visit our office regularly for professional cleanings.
- Follow Dr. Meunier’s recommendations for products that will reduce your risk of developing gum disease if you have a family history of the condition.
- Eat a healthy, nutritious diet to keep your immune system in great shape.
- Eat calcium-rich foods to keep your bones healthy.
- If you smoke, stop.
If you develop new medical conditions, you should let us know at your appointment because your overall health can affect your oral health and vice versa. Medications, age, and hormones all play a part in the health of your gums. Your gum health is essential to your dental health and plays a significant role in your systemic health and can exacerbate including heart health, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, respiratory illnesses, and even low birthweight babies.
No matter what level of gum disease you suffer from, we can help you achieve excellent oral health again. Please, feel free to contact our Evansville dental office. Dr. Meunier and our entire team are focused on solutions that allow you to keep your teeth, have fresh breath, and feel proud of your smile.